Dedicated Immigration Representation, Helping Clients Across Ohio

What visas can you use to bring your family to the United States?

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2024 | Family Immigration

Bringing your family to the United States can be a complex process, but understanding the available visa options can make it easier. Whether you are a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or a temporary visa holder, specific visas exist to help reunite families in Ohio.

Immediate Relative Visas (IR)

Immediate Relative Visas cater to close family members like spouses (IR-1), unmarried children under 21 (IR-2), orphans adopted abroad (IR-3), orphans to be adopted in the U.S. (IR-4), and parents of U.S. citizens (IR-5). These visas are not subject to annual numerical limits.

Family Preference Visas (F)

Family Preference Visas are for more distant relatives and always have annual caps for the number of visas that the USCIS will issue. There are several categories of Family Preference Visa.

  • F1: Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • F2A: Spouses and children of legal permanent residents (LPRs).
  • F2B: Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or older) of LPRs.
  • F3: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • F4: Siblings of U.S. citizens.

Special situations and other considerations

In urgent humanitarian situations or for significant public benefit, humanitarian parole allows family members temporary entry into the U.S. Additionally, the Refugee and Asylee Relative Petition (I-730) helps refugees and asylees bring their spouse and unmarried children under 21 to the U.S.

Understanding your options

Consulting with an immigration attorney in Ohio provides personalized guidance and helps ensure a smoother process. Whether you aim for permanent residence or a temporary stay, knowing your options serves as the first step towards reuniting with your loved ones.