Dedicated Immigration Representation, Helping Clients Across Ohio

Bringing your fiancé to the U.S.

On Behalf of | May 5, 2023 | Family Immigration

If you are a U.S. citizen engaged to a foreign national, you might be wondering about the best way to bring your fiancé to the United States. The good news is that there is a specific visa, known as the K-1 visa, designed to facilitate this process.

This blog will guide you through the steps involved in obtaining a K-1 visa, ensuring that you and your fiancé can start your life together in the U.S. as soon as possible.

Filing a petition for an immigrant fiancé

Your journey begins with filing Form I-129F with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This petition initiates the K-1 visa process and provides USCIS with evidence of your relationship and your intention to marry. The evidence can include photographs, correspondences and any other documents demonstrating your relationship. Once USCIS approves your petition, they will forward it to the National Visa Center and then to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your fiancé’s country.

Attending the visa interview

Once the U.S. Embassy or Consulate receives the approved petition, they will schedule your fiancé for a visa interview. This interview is a critical step in the K-1 visa process. Your fiancé will need to bring important documents to the interview, including a completed Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application, a valid passport, medical examination results and evidence of financial support. The consular officer will review these documents and ask questions to confirm the legitimacy of your relationship.

Planning for marriage and adjusting status

After obtaining the K-1 visa, your fiancé can travel to the U.S. You must marry within 90 days of their arrival. Following the marriage, your spouse can apply for a status adjustment to become a lawful permanent resident by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS.

Although the process can be complex, the end result is worth it: starting your new life together in the United States.